In the first six months of pregnancy, a pregnant woman should pay special attention to her diet because the nutrients in her diet are helpful in the development of the fetus. The more the amount of nutrients in the mother’s diet, the more the baby will be healthy, so let’s know if potatoes can be eaten during pregnancy or not?
|It is safe to eat potatoes during pregnancy or not?|
Potatoes during pregnancy
It is good that potato contains plenty of nutrients and it is completely safe to consume potatoes during pregnancy. Potatoes contain enough amount of fiber, vitamins and other nutrients. Potato is rich in all the nutrients that a woman needs during pregnancy.
- Benefits of eating potato during pregnancy
- Disadvantages of eating potatoes in pregnancy
- How and how to eat potatoes during pregnancy
- Precautions to eat potato during pregnancy
1. Benefits of eating potato during pregnancy
Eating potatoes during pregnancy can have the following benefits:
- Potatoes are very beneficial for a person suffering from acidity and digestive diseases.
- Mashing the potatoes and eating them helps to reduce gastric acidity.
- The soluble fiber and vitamin C present in potatoes regulate cholesterol.
- The fiber found in potato relieves constipation.
- Potato vitamins help heal wounds and boost the immune system.
- The acid found in plenty in potato is essential for the development of fetal brain and nervous system.
- Eating folate in the early stages of pregnancy reduces the chances of miscarriage.
- Potatoes contain flavonoids that keep blood pressure under control.
- Iron, calcium and potassium from potato are helpful in fetal development.
- Potato is also effective in treating inflammation under the eyes during pregnancy, which are common during pregnancy. Keeping grated raw potatoes on your eyes for 10 to 15 minutes provides coolness and relief from inflammation.
- Potatoes contain potassium, which reduces heart attacks and high blood pressure.
2. Disadvantages of eating potatoes in pregnancy
Eating potatoes during pregnancy can cause the following disadvantages:
- Potatoes with green spots should not be eaten, eating them can cause vomiting, diarrhea etc.
- Eating more potatoes can cause diabetes.
- Eating green potatoes can cause birth defects in children called spina bifida.
- Infants are more likely to develop type 1 diabetes in the future by consuming more potatoes and tuber vegetables.
- Overweight women who consume more potatoes during pregnancy are at risk of obesity.
3. How and how to eat potatoes during pregnancy
By boiling potatoes, soup and salad can be eaten in any form. It is better to eat sweet potato instead of roasted potatoes. Potato should not be eaten much because there is a lot of sweetness in the potato, due to which the child may suffer from obesity.
4. Precautions to eat potato during pregnancy
Take the following precautions while eating potatoes in pregnancy:
- Potato chips should not be eaten during pregnancy as the chips are fried which is harmful to health.
- There is also a risk of diabetes in pregnancy due to excessive consumption of potato.
- Green sprouts should not be eaten.
- Eating rotten potatoes poses a risk of food poisoning.
The serious side effects of potato have not come to light, but it is advisable to eat moderate amounts to avoid the possible side effects of excessive consumption of any food item. It would also be better if medical advice is taken before making any food a part of the mother’s diet.
The above information is for your knowledge. Advice of elders or advice of an expert is very important for any major decision. The Times Buzzer does not want you and your loved ones to have any kind of problem. Times Buzzer is always trying to give you the best information. If you like the information provided by us, then do share it with your friends. Thank you!