Vaginitis is inflammation of the vagina. In premenopausal women, infection is the most common cause. After menopause, low levels of estrogen often leads to vaginal atrophy (atrophic vaginitis). Vaginitis can also be the result of an allergic reaction to an irritating chemical, such as a spermicidal, douche or bath soap.
Vaginal inflammation is called vaginitis resulting in vaginal discharge, vaginal itching, and vaginal pain. The cause is usually a change in the normal balance of vaginal bacteria. Also after menopause, a decrease in estrogen hormone levels can also result in vaginitis.
Infection or inflammation of the vagina or vulva.
- How common is condition? Very common (More than 1 crore cases per year in India)
- Is condition treatable? Treatment from medical professional advised
- Does diagnosis require lab test or imaging? Requires lab test or imaging
- Time taken for recovery: Can last several days or weeks
- How is condition transmitted? Transmitted through sexual contact
- Condition Highlight: Common for ages 11 and older
The most common types of vaginitis are:
- Bacterial vaginosis (bacterial infection of the vagina) is caused by the overgrowth of bacteria normally present in your vagina.
- Yeast infection is usually caused by naturally occurring yeast called Candida albicans.
- Trichomoniasis is caused by unicellular protozoa and usually occurs from one person to another through sexual intercourse.
- Vaginal atrophy is caused by low levels of estrogen hormone after menopause.
Its treatment depends on what type of vaginitis you have.
- Symptoms of vaginitis
- Causes of vaginitis
- Avoid vaginal inflammation
- Treatment of vaginitis
- Home remedy for vulva inflammation
Symptoms of vaginitis
Symptoms and signs of vaginitis can be of the following types:
- Changes in the amount, color, or smell of vaginal discharge.
- Vaginal burning or itching.
- Pain during sexual intercourse.
- Pain during urination.
- Small amounts of vaginal bleeding or spotting.
The type of vaginitis can be detected by these symptoms of vaginal discharge. for example:
- Burning, Pruritis, Pain, Redness, Spotting discharge, Dyspareunia, Postcoital burning, Thrush patches.
- When infected with bacterial vaginosis, you may experience white, very bad-smelling discharge. This smell is quite similar to that of fish, which becomes more pronounced after sexual intercourse.
- The main sign of a yeast infection in the vagina is itching, but you may experience white discharge like cottage cheese.
- When infected with an infection called trichomoniasis, one may experience greenish-yellow and sometimes foamy discharge.
The cause of vaginitis depends on its type.
1. Bacterial vaginosis
Bacterial vaginosis results from the overgrowth of bacteria normally present in your vagina. There are usually more “good” bacteria (lactobacillus) in your vagina than “bad” bacteria (anaerobic), but if the anaerobic bacteria become too much, they disturb the balance of the bacteria, causing bacterial vaginosis. is. This type of vaginitis is related to sexual intercourse, especially if you are related to many people or when you are related to a new person. But it also occurs in women who are not sexually active.
2. Yeast infection
Yeast infection occurs when there is usually an overgrowth of yeast called Candida Albicans in the vagina. In addition to yeast infections, Candida albicans also causes infections in other moist parts of your body, such as your mouth, skin layer, and nails. Diaper rashes are also the result of fungus.
Trichomoniasis is a sexually transmitted infection caused by a unicellular protozoa called Trichomonas vaginalis. This organism spreads during sexual intercourse with a person. In men, this protozoa usually infects the urinary tract, but often they do not feel any symptoms when infected. In women, trichomoniasis usually infects the vagina and also shows symptoms.
4. Non-invasive vaginitis
There may be allergic reactions to vaginal sprays, douches, scented soaps, scented detergents and spermicidal products or irritation of the vaginal tissues. The dilution of the lining of the vagina, itching and burning of the vagina can also occur due to the decrease in hormone levels after the release of the ovaries by menopause or surgery.
By taking care of hygiene, you can prevent some types of vaginitis:
- Do not take hot water baths or whirlpool spas in the bathtub. Clean the outer genital area thoroughly with soap after taking a shower and dry the area thoroughly to prevent irritation. Do not use perfumed or harsh soaps.
- Avoid uncomfortable products such as scented tampons and sanitary pads, etc.
- After going to the toilet, wipe right from back to front. By doing this, bacteria present in the stool do not enter the vagina.
Other things that help prevent vaginitis are:
- Do not use douche for vaginal cleansing. Apart from a normal bath, your vagina does not require any other cleaning. Repeated douching messes up the balance of normal bacteria present in the vagina, causing vaginal infections. (Read more – How to keep the vagina clean)
- Use latex condoms. Both men and women do not spread the infection by sexual contact with latex condoms.
- Wear cotton underwear. Also wear pantyhose with cotton crotch. If you feel comfortable without it, do not wear it. Anyway, yeast thrives in moist environment.
Different organisms and conditions cause vaginitis, so treatment also depends on the cause.
Bacterial vaginosis, yeast infection, and trichomoniasis are treated by doctors, antibiotics, or creams. You have to apply the cream on the vagina and eat the medicines. The course of medicines is usually five or seven days.
Thinning or vaginal atrophy of the vaginal lining is treated with estrogen hormone creams or pills, but this treatment should be done only with the advice of a doctor.
To treat non-invasive vaginitis, you have to identify its source and then stop using it. Such as soap, laundry detergent, sanitary napkins or tampons, etc. This can happen.
Home Remedies for Vaginitis
There are many ways to treat vaginitis at home, some of them are as follows:
1. Yogurt (Curd)
Probiotic yogurt that contains active bacteria is one of the best home remedies to treat vaginitis. Studies have shown that ‘good’ bacteria (lactobacillus) are present in yogurt which helps in fighting ‘bad’ bacteria.
It also helps in maintaining vaginal pH balance. All these factors provide relief from various inconveniences.
- Dip a tampon in the curd and insert it into your vagina for a few hours. Repeat this process twice a day until the symptoms disappear completely.
- Also, eat yogurt daily in your diet.
2. Apple Vinegar
The acidic nature of apple vinegar helps to control the pH of your vagina to an extent. The proper pH level of the vagina automatically maintains the balance of good and bad bacteria. In addition, it also controls yeast or bacterial infections.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of raw apple vinegar in a glass of warm water and use it to wash your vagina with this mixture twice a day for a few days.
- In addition, mix 1 to 2 tablespoons of raw apple vinegar and raw honey in a glass of warm water and drink it twice daily.
3. Xompress with cold clothes.
You can control inflammation caused by vaginitis by compressing it with cold clothes. The low temperature makes the area numb, giving relief from itching, pain and other discomforts.
- Wrap some ice cubes in a clean cloth and tie it.
- With this cloth compress your vagina for 1 minute.
- Take a break for 1 minute and apply it again.
- Repeat this process for a few more minutes.
- Use this remedy as needed.
Vaginitis can be treated with the antibacterial and antiseptic properties of garlic. It treats both bacterial and yeast infections. In addition, garlic increases your body’s immune system to fight any infection.
- Mix 4 or 5 drops of garlic oil with half a teaspoon of vitamin E oil and half a teaspoon of coconut oil. Apply it on the affected area twice a day for a few days.
- Eat a few pieces of raw garlic daily and use it daily in cooking.
- Alternatively, you can also take 300 mg of garlic supplements daily for a few days. However, please consult a doctor before taking any supplement.
5. Boric acid
Boric acid is a very good way to get rid of the discomforts of vaginitis. Its antiseptic and antifungal properties help reduce itching, pain, and irritation. In addition, it helps to clear the vagina and balance the pH level.
According to a 2011 study published in the Journal of Women’s Health, boric acid is a safe alternative to recurrent vaginal problems in women.
- Fill some empty boric acid powder inside an empty capsule.
- Put this capsule in your vagina before sleeping at night.
- The next morning, clean this part thoroughly with warm water.
- Repeat this process once or twice a week.
Note: Do not use this remedy if you are pregnant.
Vaginal steaming or vaginal steaming. Have you ever heard about it? Probably not. While the practice of steam in the vagina is not new. At one time, the vagina was inhaled when the menstrual cycle began and after delivery. This was normal procedure.
If you talk to elderly women about this, then you will find that the vagina is very useful for girls and women. Vagina can be vaporized in case of sexual intercourse, vaginal dryness. Not only this, even if there is a problem related to hormonal imbalance, pelvic floor, steam is a good option in the vagina.
Vaginal steaming is also known as V-steaming or vaginal steaming. However, doctors and research do not comment on this.
You may be surprised to know that in the olden days vaginal steaming was tried as a natural remedy to clean the vagina and uterus. By adopting this remedy, the stomach pain during periods is reduced, the problem of flatulence ends and the menstrual periods are regular. Along with vaginal cleansing, vaginal health is also improved.
Despite so many benefits of vaginal steaming, it is important to know if it is safe? Can there be any problem, infection or disease in the vagina? However, no research or study has been done so far in this subject, so that more is known about its benefits. But superficially it can be said that vaginal steaming is useful for women. These days, this trend is being liked very much in foreign countries.
- What is vaginal steaming and how does it work?
- Vaginal steam when taking it yourself
- Keep these things in mind before taking steam in the vagina
- Benefits of vaginal steaming
- Vaginal Loss
What is vaginal steaming and how does it work?
Vaginal steaming means the steam from the herb reaching the vagina directly. For this, the herbs were heated until the water evaporated. This procedure is done in some spa centers. By the way, if you want, you can also do this process at home. However, doctors do not recommend doing this at home. It is a different thing that the process of vaporization in the vagina is quite easy. For this you just have to put some useful herbs in a container, boil it. After this, the container has to be placed in such a place that steam can reach from the container to your vagina. The spa center is specially designed for this chair, which has a large hole, which is convenient to sit on and the steam reaches easily from the bottom to the vagina.
Usually the following herbs are used in this process:
- Azadirachta indica
- Basil (Basil)
Despite not being a scientific fact, some experts claim that it is the best option for reducing vaginal problems. Understand as an example. For example, mugwort is used for vaginal steam. In the process of traditional Chinese medicine maxibustion, mugwort was burnt and applied to the affected part or pressure point of the body. Maxibustion is actually an alternative therapy that helps reduce reproductive functioning problems. In this way, the type of herbs used to vaporize the vagina are very effective. These have their own benefits. However, how effective they are for vaginal health, it is difficult to say.
Vaginal steam when taking it yourself
Keep in mind that the skin of the vagina is very sensitive, so all the things you are going to use for steam should be beneficial for the vagina. Apart from this, consider some useful things mentioned here.
Allow the herbs to boil for at least one minute. Now remove the clothes below the waist. Place the container between the legs. Stand like this for an average of 20 minutes. Usually a session of steam taking is 20 to 60 minutes. The hotter the water is and the longer it stays warm, the longer it can take steam. Keep a short distance from the steam container.
Do not add herbs to warm water to maintain extra moisture in the vagina. This increases the risk of bacterial infection or yeast infection.
Call a specialist at home for vaginal steam. Seek expert help for a few days. When you master it, repeat this process alone. Get to know about the advantages and disadvantages of vaginal steam from a doctor.
Keep the container or equipment used for vaginal steam clean. Dirty containers can cause vaginal infections or other negative effects. Therefore, the container or equipment used for steam must be cleaned before use. Clean it even after use and keep it in a good place.
Vaginal irritation may occur due to the use of extra hot water. Immediately stop taking steam when you feel like it.
Pregnant women should not take vaginal steam at home by themselves. This can harm your fetus. Doctors also generally do not recommend pregnant women to sit in hot water tubs, take a sauna bath, and use a heating pad in the pelvis area.
Keep these things in mind before taking steam in the vagina
If you want to get steam in your vagina from home, then for this you must know some important things like:
Do not rely solely on the vaginal vaporization process on the Internet. Usually half of the incomplete information is present in the Internet or different websites say different things which can confuse you. Most websites also end up saying that if you suffer any loss while doing this process, they are not responsible for it. Apparently such incomplete information is not right for your health. If you want to get steam into your vagina, consult a specialist.
It is not necessary to have steam in the vagina for better health. Other alternative therapies exist for this. Which have been well studied. While there is not enough study so far on this vaginal vaporization process. Therefore, adopt treatment methods that are more useful and safe.
Till now it is not clear what effect this has on the health of the child by taking vaginal steam during pregnancy. Keep in mind that there are some herbs that can cause miscarriage. So, while pregnant, do not use any kind of herbs in your vagina without full knowledge.
Ask the spa staff to clean the equipment at whichever spa center is taking the vaginal steaming. Only then the risk of infection can be reduced.
Benefits of vaginal steaming
However, whether or not steam should be taken into the vagina is not entirely clear. But it can be said that the benefits of taking the vagina in the vagina are unlimited, based on the words heard by older and older women.
- It reduces stress
- Keeps away from depression
- There are no diseases like hemorrhoids
- The risk of infection is low
- Better fertility
- Hormones remain balanced
- Headache is less frequent
- Not tired
- Digestive system is better
- This remedy is effective even in different types of pain.
- Reduces menstrual cycle symptoms
- Controls heavy bleeding
- Improves vaginal health after delivery
- Increases energy level
Some women claim that due to steam in the vagina, blood flow to the vaginal tissues increases, due to which vaginal health benefits.
It would not be easy to say that the process of vaporization in the vagina is completely beneficial or has its disadvantages? But according to experts, the vagina is not made for steam-clean. To say that cleaning the vagina with the help of steam is not completely correct. If the water is too hot during steam, it can lead to bacteria in the vagina, a yeast infection, or other vaginal problems.
As it is, the skin of the vagina is very sensitive and can easily be affected by the use of anything bad. Taking steam daily is not right for the vagina. This may cause vaginal irritation which can make a woman uncomfortable.
Also know – understand that despite all the herbs being natural, it is not necessary for the vagina to be useful. Some herbs can have negative effects. You may be allergic to a particular herb that is not right for the vagina.
In addition, there are no medical guidelines for regular steam in the vagina. Nor is it entirely clear what kind of herbs should be used for this.
If you feel that a particular herb is necessary to be used for the relief of period pain, then you can choose other options instead of steaming in the vagina. Take a hot water bottle, for example, and apply it in the pelvic area. Also drink herbal tea. The most important thing is regular cleaning of your vagina with plain water. Do not use any kind of chemical in this organ.
The time of pregnancy is very important. What women eat during pregnancy directly affects the child. During this time, it is very important to have a good and nutritious diet to keep the body healthy and healthy.
The above information is for your knowledge. Advice of elders or advice of an expert is very important for any major decision. The Times Buzzer does not want you and your loved ones to have any kind of problem. Times Buzzer is always trying to give you the best information. If you like the information provided by us, then do share it with your friends. Thank you!