Bitter gourd is a vegetable whose mouth tastes bitter on hearing the name, but bitter as bitter gourd is equally beneficial. Some people like to eat bitter gourd and some people eat it as medicine. This vegetable is known for its many nutritional properties, that is why people who do not like to eat it also eat bitter gourd. Bitter gourd is used as a natural medicine throughout Southeast Asia.
Today, through this article, we will know how beneficial eating bitter gourd is during pregnancy. Should we eat bitter gourd in pregnancy or not?
Bitter-Gourd During Pregnancy
There is a desire to eat a lot during pregnancy, but it is obvious that due to the bitter taste of bitter gourd, a pregnant woman will not want to consume bitter gourd as bitter gourd is known for its medicinal properties, so it should be eaten during pregnancy. It is beneficial for both the pregnant woman and the fetus.
- Benefits of eating bitter gourd during pregnancy
- Disadvantages of eating bitter gourd in pregnancy
- How and how to eat bitter gourd in pregnancy
- Precautions to eat bitter gourd in pregnancy
1. Benefits of eating bitter gourd during pregnancy
Consuming bitter gourd in pregnancy can have the following benefits:
- Folate is very important for pregnant women. Folate protects the infant from neural tube defects. A lot of folate is found in bitter gourd.
- Bitter gourd contains fiber that helps reduce problems such as constipation and bleeding.
- This vegetable contains other vitamins and minerals like riboflavin, thiamine, vitamin B1, vitamin B2 and vitamin B3 etc. It is also a good source of calcium and beta carotene.
- Bitter gourd contains iron, niacin, potassium, pantothenic acid, zinc, pyridoxine, magnesium and manganese and all play an important role in fetal development.
- Bitter gourd has diabetes fighting properties and hence pregnant woman should consume it daily. Nutrients such as charentin and polypeptide-P help fight gestational diabetes during pregnancy.
- Potassium, manganese, zinc, magnesium, iron and calcium present in bitter gourd are some minerals that prevent anemia during pregnancy. Calcium helps to form the bones and teeth of the fetus.
2. Disadvantages of eating bitter gourd in pregnancy
Eating bitter gourd during pregnancy can have the following disadvantages:
- Consuming bitter gourd can also cause premature labor for women.
- Excessive consumption of bitter gourd can cause stomach problems. Bitter gourd can cause diarrhea, stomach cramps and other stomach problems.
- The toxic substance found in bitter gourd seeds is harmful for the unborn baby.
Bitter gourd contains resins, quinine, saponic glycosides and morodicin that spread poison in the human body causing abdominal pain, nausea and weakness in pregnant women, vomiting, redness on the face, diarrhea, excessive salivation and muscle weakness. .
3. How and how to eat bitter gourd in pregnancy
Pregnant women who have not consumed bitter gourd before pregnancy do not need to start consuming bitter gourd after pregnancy because if a woman has not consumed bitter gourd before pregnancy, then she will not know that the consumption of bitter gourd What is the effect on his body.
Apart from this, one should not consume bitter gourd generally. Bitter gourd can be eaten one cup per day as curry or salad. Suppose if you have a maximum of two cups of bitter gourd, it should not be eaten together; one should be eaten during lunch and another can be taken during dinner. Bitter gourd can be eaten as stuffed vegetable or Bhujia vegetable with lentils etc. The best time to eat bitter gourd is the second part of pregnancy, because in the second part of pregnancy there is no risk of miscarriage.
4. Precautions to eat bitter gourd in pregnancy
Take the following precautions while eating bitter gourd in pregnancy:
- While buying bitter gourd from the market, it should be kept in mind that the colors may also be used in such vegetables if they are not greener than usual.
- Only fresh and green vegetables should be brought from the market.
- Pesticides etc. are used in the cultivation of vegetables, so vegetables should be consumed after washing them properly.
If seen, bitter gourd is highly beneficial and it can be eaten during pregnancy but excessive intake of any food item can be harmful. Bitter gourd should not be part of any pregnant woman’s diet without seeking medical advice. Pregnancy is a time where even a slight lapse can prove very harmful.
The above information is for your knowledge. Advice of elders or advice of an expert is very important for any major decision. The Times Buzzer does not want you and your loved ones to have any kind of problem. Times Buzzer is always trying to give you the best information. If you like the information provided by us, then do share it with your friends. Thank you!